A smarter, faster and more accurate version of the Lightroom has been announced by Adobe and is priced at $299 and an upgrade price of $99. More details in this post: http://lightroom-news.com/2008/07/28/adobe-releases-photoshop-lightroom-2/
Summary of the changes (from Lightroom-News.com)
Photoshop Lightroom 2: Smarter, Faster and More Accurate
The enhanced Library module in Lightroom 2 helps streamline and accelerate photographers’ workflows. With the ability to visually organize images across multiple hard drives, Lightroom 2 and its powerful Library Filter Bar makes it easy for users to quickly find the images they need. The Suggested Keywords feature helps photographers keyword their images by making intelligent suggestions based on their own previous efforts. New dual-monitor support allows users to expand their workspace, giving them flexibility to edit and organize images in a way that maximizes an additional display.
In the Develop module, the new Local Adjustment Brush lets photographers fine-tune specific areas of an image to precisely adjust color, exposure and tonal range without affecting other areas of the image. The new Graduated Filter expands the toolbox in Lightroom, allowing for edits to larger areas by applying gradually diminishing or increasing adjustment effects such as exposure, clarity, and saturation, alone, or in any combination. Lightroom 2 also helps photographers print more efficiently by quickly arranging photos of multiple sizes on one or many pages with flexible and customizable templates to maximize paper and ink. Intelligent algorithms automatically determine optimal sharpening for screen or print, producing crisper images faster.
And also, a quote from Scott Kelby on Lightroom 2:
“One of the big reasons why Lightroom has become such a phenomenon among serious photographers is that Adobe built it with the input of a very vocal user community,” said Scott Kelby, president of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). “Adobe really listens to the issues and challenges today’s photographers face and they’ve built a complete solution that not only meets the needs of photographers; it really feels like it was made just for us. The enhancements to Lightroom 2, combined with the power of Photoshop, give photographers the ultimate freedom to produce professional images quickly.”
Some links of LR2 from Adobe’s site:
- LR 2 Main Page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
- Features Page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/features/index.html
- Upgrade Details; Also includes a list of New and Updated features in LR2 vs LR1: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/upgrade/
- Terry White’s Tech Blog: Terry lists out all the features of Lightroom 2
- Lightroom Journal has several entries on Lightroom 2 and Camera Raw 4.5
New Features include:
- Automatically organize photos using Smart collections
- Work with high-quality previews of offline images from multiple libraries & drives
- Dual Monitor Support
- Local Adjustment Brush for targeted dodging and burning
- State-of-the-art 64-bit memory handling
- Easily transfer files to popular photo-sharing sites
What an exciting day it is!