Welcome to my blog. My name is Mike Lao.
I am not a professional photographer but I probably categorize myself as a hobbyist/enthusiast/amateur photographer. I started using a DSLR back in mid-2006 but I have been a fan of taking pictures before that. I hope I can share with you some of my creations and tips here in my blog.
My Shooting Style
I like taking portraits of people and I can categorize myself as a travel photographer. I like to take pictures while I’m traveling or when I’m in new places. I have shot in a studio before and maybe I’m not just used to it yet, but I find it hard to direct people and to let them pose. Maybe I have to train myself on that aspect. Travel for me is more challenging because I have to capture the moment without directing someone. I just have to notice it myself.
My Camera Gear
Over the years, I have was able to almost complete the setup that I want although I realized that I am never contented with what I have! I guess that’s a fact of life! :) However, I am very happy with the current setup that I have because it has allowed me to be successful in my type of shooting.
- Canon EOS 40D Body
- Canon EOS 350D Body + battery grip
- Canon 17-40mm f/4 L lens
- Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens
- Canon Speedlite 580 EX II flash
- Slik 340DX Pro Tripod
- Hyperdrive Space (for backups)
- Sandisk CF Cards (2GB, 4GB)
- Remote triggers for the 350D and 40D
- Lowepro Slingshot 200AW Camera Bag
My Computer Gear
For post-processing and organizing my photos, I use the following:
- 15″ Powerbook G4 1.67 Mhz with 80GB HDD and 2GB RAM
- Several portable hard drives – La Cie 120GB Porsche, etc.
- Apple 23″ Cinema Display
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 + Bridge CS3
- Spyder (for calibration)