How do you backup your photos or your laptop for that matter? As a subscriber to multiple blogs, here are some practices that might work for you:
As for me, here’s what I do:
Photos: I use the Hyperdrive as my main backup. I transfer all my photos there after a shoot and then I connect the hyperdrive to my MacBook Pro later and download photos to Lightroom. I start off by importing all the photos to my laptop’s drive and then when I’m done, I copy the whole library again to a different drive. I usually have 1 LR catalog for each month or for each major shoot so that I can easily back them up.
The photos in the Hyperdrive are then transferred to a different hard disk so that I can preserve my negatives.
Files: Unfortunately, I have not taken advantage of the Time Machine or Super Duper apps in Mac. I have to get another spare drive for this or probably the Time Capsule so that I can do this automatically. Or, maybe I’ll just save up for the DROBO…
Backing up all my data has been a top priority for me and I still have to compute and prepare all my spare/external hard drives for this! I’ll try to do this soon before disaster strikes… (knock on wood)… 🙂
Christmas is almost around the corner and if you’re wondering what to get for your special someone who is a gadget geek or a photographer, here are some guides compiled by Scott Kelby and Terry White.
Scott Kelby’s Gonzo Holiday Gift Guide – He came out with his first one last year in a PDF format and this year, it’s in the Layers Magazine site.
Terry White’s 2007 Holiday Gadget Gift Guide – This is a downloadable PDF that breaks it down for you depending on the person you’re giving the gift to – from a digital photographer, music lover, frequent traveller, computer junkie and to the gadget lover!
As for my own ‘wants’, it would be the following:
- LaCie 500GB External HDD – I think I just can’t get enough of hard drives now. I have several external hard drives to store my files and photos and I still feel I need more! The link above is for the USB version because the Firewire version seems to be out of stock at both Amazon.com and Lacie.com.
- Canon 135mm f/2 L lens – probably Canon’s fastest prime lens! Would be a good addition to my 85mm f/1.8
- Drobo – If this was cheaper ($500 for the case only), I might just have gotten one already…so, I’ll just wait until I absolutely need this. If you haven’t seen what this is yet, you should check out their site!
- HoodLoupe Professional LCD Screen Loupe – very useful when shooting outdoors and the sun is too bright to really see the colors in the LCD of the camera. I still have to think about this more because the 40D’s 3″ LCD is just great! I haven’t had the chance to test it outdoors though.
- iPhone – I may just have to wait when they come out with the 16GB version though…
- Tripod – I think I finally need on, I just have to look what the good ones are (that’s within my budget)
- Lowepro Specialist 85AW – just because I want a new bag to go with my new 40D! hahaha!